San Francisco Trial Attorney Manages Lead Counsel Duties in Complex Litigation
Preeminent case management and exemplary courtroom presentations
In complex civil or commercial litigation, the lead trial counsel is the captain of the ship. The lead trial counsel must oversee all aspects of the presentation at trial, making crucial decisions about the scope and sequence of evidence to be presented. In multiparty litigation, lead trial counsel must also manage the participation of attorneys representing various clients with diverse and sometimes conflicting interests.
Extensive experience in high-profile and high-stakes litigation
The stakes are enormous in complex civil and commercial litigation. Throughout the preparation for trial and the trial itself, what drives me is a passion to deliver a just outcome for the client who has trusted me. The following is a list of significant litigation where I performed lead counsel or co-lead duties:
- Represented Enron in wholesale electricity market manipulation litigation in the Pacific Northwest ($3.0 billion at risk) tried before Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (2001) defense verdict.
- Represented Enron in wholesale electricity market manipulation litigation in California ($2.0 Billion at risk) tried before Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (2002-2004) settled after trial.
- Represented former Deputy Attorney General of the United States who was appointed as fiduciary for over approximately 18,000 individuals. In re Western Asbestos, 313 B.R. 456 (Bkrptcy N.D. Cal. 2004)(settled after trial for $1.2 billion).
- Represented former Deputy Attorney General of the United States who was appointed as fiduciary for over approximately 6,000 individuals. In re J.T. Thorpe, Case No. LA02-14216BB (Bkrptcy. C.D. Cal. 2006)(settled after trial for $250 million).
- Represented former Deputy Attorney General of the United States who was appointed as fiduciary for over approximately 12,000 individuals. In re Thorpe Insulation, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California, Case No. LA07-19271BB (tried in 2006 settled after trial for $750 million).
- Represented former Deputy Attorney General of the United States who was appointed as fiduciary for over approximately 7,000 individuals. In re Plant Insulation Company, U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of California, Case No. 09-31347 (tried in 2012 settled after trial for nearly $200 million in settlements to date – case is still pending).
- Co-Lead Counsel and then Executive Committee Member in In re Literary Works in Electronic Databases, MDL 1379, United States District Court Southern District of New York, a worldwide class action brought on behalf of freelance authors against leading database and publishing defendants (2013 Class settlement more than $18,000,000).
- Represented court appointed fiduciary responsible for over 40,000 trust beneficiaries in protecting remaining $1.8 billion dollars in trust assets from invalid and unreliable claims filed by one law firm (2013 settlement on third day of trial where attorney agreed to file no more claims and to relinquish representation of any clients against any of the four trusts involved).
- Sued a national stock brokerage because of its unfair business practice of allowing parents of minor children to control their custodial accounts set up under the Uniform Gift to Minors Acts long after their children reached legal age. As a result, the stock brokerage changed its business practices nationwide to require transfer of control to account holders when they reach the age of majority (2005-2006).
- Represented Southern Pacific Railroad in a valuation dispute over 2,500 miles of fiber optic cable buried in the railroad right of way (Verdict more than $50,000,000).
Although no attorney can guarantee a positive outcome, I am pleased with my record of delivering favorable results for my clients.
For preeminent lead counsel services, contact Fergus, A Law Office in San Francisco
For experience and ability that can make the difference to your case, contact Fergus, A Law Office. Attorney Gary Fergus delivers experienced and passionate representation for corporate entities and individuals. To schedule a consultation, call me at 415.537.9030 or contact my San Francisco office online.