Experienced Counsel To Help You Through
With over 35 years of litigation experience, I have the experience and know-how to help you through any complicated legal conflict that may arise.
Since forming Fergus, A Law Office, in 2002, I have maintained a strong work ethic and am able to provide clients personalized, deep-dive representation that drives results. With sound judgment, I have been able to help clients successfully navigate their way through a variety of difficult situations.
My experience spans a vast array of clients and industries, and I have a proven track record of producing favorable results. The following is a representative sample of cases I have been involved with:
- Represented Enron in wholesale electricity market manipulation litigation in the Pacific Northwest ( $3 billion at risk), tried before Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (2001); (defense verdict)
- Represented Enron in wholesale electricity market manipulation litigation in California ( $2 billion at risk), tried before Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (2002-2004); (settled after trial)
- Represented former deputy attorney general of the United States who was appointed as fiduciary for over approximately 18,000 individuals; (settled after trial for $1.2 billion)
- Represented former deputy attorney general of the United States who was appointed as fiduciary for over approximately 6,000 individuals; (settled after trial for $250 million)
- Represented former deputy attorney general of the United States who was appointed as fiduciary for over approximately 12,000 individuals; (settled after trial for $750 million)
- Represented former deputy attorney general of the United States who was appointed as fiduciary for over approximately 7,000 individuals; (settled after trial for nearly $200 million in settlements to date — case is still pending)
- Co-lead counsel and then executive committee member In re Literary Works in Electronic Databases, MDL 1379, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, a worldwide class action brought on behalf of freelance authors against leading database and publishing defendants (2013 class settlement over $18 million)
- Sued a national stock brokerage because of its unfair business practice of allowing parents of minor children to control their custodial accounts set up under the Uniform Gift to Minors Act long after their children reached legal age. As a result, the stock brokerage changed its business practices nationwide to require transfer of control to account holders when they reach the age of majority (2005-2006)
- Represented Southern Pacific Railroad in a valuation dispute over 2,500 miles of fiber optic cable buried in the railroad right of way (1996 verdict; over $50,000 for lease period)
- Represented a shareholder in a breach of fiduciary duty case involving the improper transfer of valuable international subsidiary assets to another corporation (2011; settled)
- Successfully defended a trademark infringement action against a foreign corporation involved in the same business, but in a different geographical area than the plaintiff corporation (case dismissed, 2011)
- Successfully represented a minor child whose photograph was being commercially exploited by an international corporation (2010 photograph removed)
- Represented the spouse of a deceased celebrity whose likeness was being exploited commercially without the permission of the heirs (settled and photographs removed, 2007)
- Represented a musician whose music was used without his permission by a Hollywood studio in a major motion picture (license negotiated)
- Represented a nationally syndicated author and artist in enforcing and licensing intellectual property rights for her literary works and art nationwide (2007-present)
- Representing a majority owner of right of publicity for deceased celebrity in licensing use of likeness (2008-present)
- Tried over 100 cases (some as groups) involving asbestos claims against numerous manufacturers (1986-1996)
For more information on how I can help you, contact me online or call 866-256-5487. Let me find a workable solution for your problem. From my office in San Francisco, California, I help clients nationwide.